How to Avoid Fraudulent Scams
Hellobd.com.bd is a website hosting classified ads for Health, Properties, Car & bike, Buy & Sell, Course, Jobs, Service, Community, deals and so much more. Unfortunately, on occasions with sites like these, they can become prone to attack by fraudsters and scam artists trying to con innocent users of the website.
Hopefully, this guide will help users avoid falling victim to scams and fraud thus remaining safe and more conscious of the transactions carried out online.
Rules to always remember:
- Always deal face-to-face in person.
- Never transfer funds via bkash, Western Union or any other money transfer company.
- Do not accept cashier checks or money orders.
- Transactions should be done from the buyer into the sellers account Only. Never via third party accounts.
- Never give out personal information of bank card numbers, date of birth, personal details etc.
- Never make a purchase without seeing the item in person.
How to recognise a scam
- Pay attention to the grammar and spelling. Yes there are those who's English is a second language and then there are those looking to make a quick buck will always be cautious.
- Hellobd.com.bd has users in more than 70 countries, but if you are selling a lawnmower, it is highly unlikely someone from the other side of the world would want it.
- The buyer cannot meet you in person and sends a third party to make the transaction.
- Hellobd.com.bd never guarantees or certifies any transaction, seller, buyer or item for sale nor does helloed.com.bd handle payments on behalf of users.
- If the buyer offers to pay a lump sum in advance for example six months rent without viewing the property.
- Electronic goods are often under-priced and commonly used in scams. Asks questions about the product and why it is being offered so cheap.
- Seller cannot talk on the phone but prefers text or emails only.
Example of fraud
- Read the ad carefully & check for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Rental properties that do not exist. If you do view a property, always go to the letting agent office and sign a receipt before placing a deposit.
- Firms that offer work with payment in advance.
- Payment in advance without viewing the car/property/item etc.
- Cash or PayPal are the most secure ways of taking payment. Never accept cheques or bankers draft these are prone to being faked.
- Query the photos and description. Asking the right questions can quickly unravel a scam.
- Never give personal information out.
- Everyone loves a bargain, but if it too good to be true, it probably is.
- Never send money abroad.
- Seller will request payment or partial payment upfront before sending out goods.
- A foreign company offers you a job wiring money to them.
If you are defrauded in person or online contact the police immediately and provide them with as much information as possible.
If you suspect an ad may be fraudulent or a scam, please contact us immediately with the details: firstname.lastname@example.org